Monday 21 January 2013

The Journey and Gratitude over Challenges

I have started this Blog with enthusiasm and immediately I was overwhelmed with what am I going to write about because many topics came flooding in my mind and did not know where to start, until the word gratitude came to my mind.  I thought this is an opportunity to be grateful for the little things I have. I looked back on life as the little girl and was filled with gratitude. Growing up as girl in the rural areas of the Eastern Cape Sterkspruit and being taken care of by my grand-mother who sold umqombothi “African beer” to ensure that we had food in our stomachs, propelled me.

My parents were in eRhawutini (Johannesburg) to look for jobs. When I was twelve years old I started to live with my mother. Living with my mother was nice, even though life was not easy but being with my mom made me happy. I’m thankful for happiness in my life that still flourishes to this day; I find delight in very small things you will see as we go along. I refuse to be unhappy.When I was in Ebenezer S.S.S  my mother started a business of selling tribe and I was actively involved, I should be honest I have never liked it because I was given nasty names but I could not refuse to help her because I understood we had to eat and go to school. All this moulded me to be a strong woman that I am. In the midst of all I passed my matric (grade twelve) and I was sure I am going to tertiary to my surprise there was no money (another story for another day).

I was never ever so heart broken in my life, I was crying each and every night for five months. The strong woman that I am continued with selling tribe and my mother had to go back to eRhawutini to look for a job to be a domestic worker. It was so hurting when people were asking me why I am sitting on the town street pavement selling tribe and not in university. It was so difficult to answer that question that I would just sob. My throat would feel like there is something in it that strangles me and will gasp for air.Finally the first semester was gone and yep enrolled at Vaal University of Technology with the little I have saved to be exact R5000 and told my mother that the moment I get a bursary I want her to go back home, and I did get the bursary and I graduated with cum laude in Analytical Chemistry and promised my mother a house and  van (small truck) when I am working.
I think gratefulness made me who I am today
Through this journey I have learnt that having gratitude kills the thoughts of self-pity. I seldom feel jealousy for the success of other people but instead my hope is raised and get so excited like as if the success is mine. I do not feel ashamed of what happened, because today I have something to be grateful for. I dismiss the negative thoughts by giving thanks for any challenge, for in Christ Jesus the son of the living God nothing is impossible. I am grateful for better life and it’s still going on, who knowsJ

                                   It’s a bad behaviour not to keep promises hey, here is the house to my beloved mother.

I hope you will enjoy this Blog and comments are all welcomed, I can only learn from them. Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment