Wednesday 7 June 2017

How to stop eating junk food?


When I started working I took it into my heart that I had to pay myself back and that was achieved through food, snacks anything that I can put in my mouth and somehow convinced is thee thing. In my mind having a slab of chocolate all the time in my bag was heaven together with bubble gum, not just one but a packet of them and will just pop at any time and chew away my hard work. as time goes on I noticed my teeth were sensitive especially after chewing the bubble gum. When my teeth became sensitive, I told myself I need to control the gum chewing habit as it became worse even when chewing my teeth will be aching.

Diet

Choose a diet that is strict and encourages you to eat more vegetables, more protein and more fruits but less starch and nothing processed for a specific period. That will encourages you as it will give quick results and encourages you to keep up the good work and therefore make it easy to keep eating clean and staying clear of junk food.

Make it difficult for you to have it

 I started by not having chocolate or gum at my arms rich, I only bought when I want them and only buy one at a time, it was not easy but I had to or I was going to lead an uncomfortable life of sensitive teeth that made it even difficult for me to laugh. My teeth were sensitive towards air that comes inside my mouth when I laugh or talk. before I know it I was lazy to just stand up and go to buy chewing gum as it was the one I had more challenge stopping eating it, bit by bit I stopped buying it. I only buy cinnamon chewing gum from Stimorol only if I am in a trip that is more than three hours away to my destination. why? I enjoy it but I cannot chew for long now because  my jaws get tired and when the sweetness is no more I throw it away but the cinnamon ones somehow they are sweet the longest.

I used the same strategy for the chocolate as well when I noticed that my weight was just increasing no matter what and soon found out that my pay me back method was firing back at me at a very unhealthy way. With chocolate because it comes at so many different varieties I had to ask myself which form I love the most and that will be the form I can have at least once a month or maybe once a week without feeling like I am putting my health at risk. So my favorite form of chocolate is moist gooey chocolate cake or muffin or cupcake let me say the combination of flour, sugar, butter and cocoa oh very nice. The cake must be really good or what ever combination must be really great or I will not fatten myself with some not so good dry cake and worst cheap ingredients. If the cake is not good I just taste and leave it, it's not worth it hahahaaaa... this works for me and I keep it that way.

Keep healthy snacks at hand

I try to have something healthy in my bag and it varies from season to season, now I am busy with loosing weight and then a snack that I eat or keep in my pocket is my kola nut. This thing takes away my cravings like a miracle and I like the bitterly after taste because it keeps me busy for a long time trying to get rid of the taste and it also curbs my appetite. I take this only if I feel like my cravings are everywhere, I feel like having chocolate before I know it, I feel like having chicken wings then I know this girl is about to binge! and take out my kola nut and chew vwa-lah craving gone!
                                                    Kola nut
Drink thy waters!

Since I started long time ago to start with 1 liters of water as the first thing I do when I wake up, I do not suffer from headaches anymore. Water is life to our bodies and also noticed that my choices of food changed, I think maybe is from knowing that I started by flushing my system with clean water so I cannot pollute it now for example I cannot start my day with a sweet, after drinking my water no, no, no, no at least in the afternoon not in the morning. I can say I am more aware of my body and listening to it and in general thinking for it you know and again not to go back to my old habits hey. I do not drink fizzy drinks as much as I used to I can go the whole month without even taking a sip but I still do sometimes, I've gotta "live" hahahaaaa.

Ohh I keep a food journal...

I keep a food journal when I start going back to my old ways, so is like you will pay big time you silly so start with that journal that you do not like. The moment I start the food journal also my counting calorie knowledge kicks in and start to be on healthy food track again. It's not easy to cut junk food, I need to lean on, time and again and when it feels like chaos I cry to my Helper to assist. I totally depend on God for everything I do, sometimes I start alone 'being human" and quickly remember when I just cannot do it that I am alone in this route and ask the Almighty to lead me and everything falls into place again. The weight challenge is a journey for me that I need not to travel alone because I just cannot, I just lose it when I do it alone.

I prepare meals...

As a mother I buy grocery and prepare food so most of the grocery list is more on the healthy side without boring everyone in the house and also sticking to the budget.

Limit going to restaurants or buying take away

When I go to the restaurant I make sure it's worth it and I enjoy myself so instead of saying choose your food wisely, what works for me is I choose the food that I  have been craving, that I love and enjoy the most even if is the worst dish ever. Because I felt if I am in a deprivation mode is difficult for me to wean myself from junk food but when I know is available to me only at the certain time I get the satisfaction and I can hold on until the next time and before I know it is not my go to food anymore and I do not know why it happens like that.

Do not try to do everything all at once do it step by step and start with the easiest for you, for me it was drinking water first thing in the morning and then I incorporated the other steps as I continue. I am not at my best but I am better than 6 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment